Steve Lacy's Debut: " Steve Lacy's Demo"

I first started to take notice of the 18 year old on his funky little bridge on the track "Curse". It was such a tiny part of the Internet's critically acclaimed 3rd album Ego Death, but it gave me the chills. It reminded me of how Frank Ocean completely took over "Wolves" in a matter of seconds. The demo lasts only about 13 minutes, but I enjoyed every second of it.
The standout track of the album, Dark Red, is an infectious love song with an ominous tone. Just like the bad thoughts Steve mentions on the bridge, this track will linger on your mind for far too long. With a solid baseline and a funky chord progression, the track highlights Steve's vocals and his songwriting ability.
After about 20 listens, my favorite track is "Ryd". Its a fun, smooth, sexy track that really displays Steve's talent. Strong songwriting, a catchy hook, and phenomenal vocals. This is song with truly get you in the mood with that special someone in your life.
Overall this is a strong solo debut with no features. I give it a 9/10 and wish it was longer. The second half of demo fades, but tracks 1-4 are pure gold. The lead guitarist for the Internet has a bright future and I'm excited to see his growth as an artist. Give the Demo a listen below:

Comments

Popular Posts