New Music Review: Hodgy Beats' Untitled EP

This is what I can only describe as a breakthrough release for Hodgy. Having departed from solely production by Left Brain, he finds himself at home on beats produced by The Alchemist, Juicy J, Flying Lotus and several others. The lyrical content like most of Hodgy's songs is clearly evident, but he shines through brilliantly on this release.






On Bullshitting Hodgy spits,

 "Ashes to ashes
Backflashes, me and you playing with matches
Girl, ashes to ashes
We were asses to asset, no half-step
You always beat me to the punch, jab left"

The lyrics continue to impress throughout the EP. Hodgy drops more more knowledge on us in "In a Dream".

"Both of my eyes are closed, I roll on my clairvoyance
Thats why we make appointments, there are no disappointments
And it makes it less awkward when you smile through my avoidance
Your heart speaks to your mind and rejoices
But reality had set its path, you are stuck with your choices
And none of them have to do with me
I'm empty, you are full of me"

I could quote impressive lyrics from every track on this album, but instead I would urge you all to give this EP a listen. None of the gimmicks, the rape talk, the drug talk, or the usual that you expect from OF is contained here. But what you do get is a raw display of lyrical talent and a rare look into the life of a lessen known member of OF. The EP is a little over 20 minutes and all 8 tracks are impressive. This is definitely worth a listen and I can call this one of the more impressive releases of the year so far.

7.5/10

Stream the EP below. Samurai, In a Dream, and Lately are all great.

Comments

Popular Posts