Ska and Rocksteady

I'm having a pretty relaxed Sunday, and I decided to listen to some older tracks on my itunes. I came across a compilation album of the Wailers early hits. Featuring a young Bob Marley as the lead singer, I forgot how good this album was. The best part of the album is that it's not reggae. It's has ska elements and even rocksteady elements, but it is not what what you could define as reggae at all. The tracks are way too upbeat and the beat patterns are slightly different. It is really easy to forget that the Wailers transcended the years of ska, rocksteady, and reggae unlike many other Jamaican bands. Below are some highlights from the album. I definitely have to thank my parents for making listen to ska and rocksteady for this post. This is the music that my dad grew up listening to as a teenager. It's pretty crazy to think that it's still very relevant and even more so that I like it so much.



Comments

Popular Posts