Oddly Enjoyable

Odd Future has been buzzing since their performance on Fallon last month. Watching Tyler and Hodgy perform caught my interest despite what can only be described as an odd performance.Despite their offensive lyrics, grim attire, and a defiant pose throughout the performance, there's something about these kids that I like. After my initial hype I decided to actually listen to their music. I started off listening to the Odd Future Tape.

The mixtape released in 2008 features songs they had made before that. From the sound quality of some of the beats you can definitely tell that it was their early material, but there is something about the gritty simplistic beats on this album that catches the ear. All the production for the mixtape was done by members Tyler, Left Brain, of the Super Three. Although the beats are rough around the edges the production is good for just a group of teenagers. I especially like the beat Tyler took from MF doom on his track "Odd Toddlers." The way he looped it and changed up the tempo of the original beat is nice. Wiz also used the sample for his song visions, but I wont get into the wolf gang taylor gang beef. Songs that catch my attention are "Odd Toddlers," "Back for another one," "Slow it down," and "Commercial." Overall I was very surprised with the quality of the lyrical content on the mixtape. I think Cassie Veggies definitely shines on this mixtape, while Tyler and Hodgy Beats drop some nice bars with a little less vulgarity than their more recent works. This is far from the best thing I've heard recently, but I appreciate the effort these kids put into it. I recommended anyone interested in OF to give this mixtape a listen and judge these kids on their music and not the spectacle they put on in public. They are definitely more about their image than their music, but their music deserves some attention as well. Let me know what you guys think about the mixtape. A review of Tyler's Bastard is coming soon, stay posted.

Download the Mixtape here: The Odd Future Tape- OFWGKTA



Comments

Popular Posts